Thursday, April 23, 2015

Trimalchio- An Early Version of The Great Gatsby

It seems only fitting that I begin an attempt at a book review blog by discussing my favorite novel (or would it be considered a novella?) of all time. I first got my hands on a copy of The Great Gatsby when I was a sophomore in high school, and no story has gripped me quite as much ever since. I even chose the theme of corruption throughout Gatsby for my senior thesis in college. 

In 2013, when the Baz Luhrmann adaptation of Gatsby hit theaters, I, of course, was  chomping at the bit to attend a viewing as soon as possible. While I was browsing tidbits and info in preparation of the movie, I found an interview discussing the inspiration that came from Trimalchio. Needless to say, my research on all things Fitzgerald intensified even more. 




I’m baffled that as an English Major that I hadn't heard of this version sooner than a few years prior, but I'm REALLY glad I finally did. No one writes such whimsical worlds as Fitzgerald and this earlier publication gave me even more insight to the era I wish I could have experienced for myself. Some of the characters are down-right despicable, but even with his dark mystery, Gatsby balances them out by being the eternal romantic, gentleman, and hopeful dreamer. Now I understand Leonardo DiCaprio's inspiration for him so much better having read the earlier edition. Just like the commercials used to say, the summer belongs to Gatsby. If you are a Fitzgerald diehard like I am, you'll thoroughly enjoy this edition. You can find it via eBay or Amazon for a pretty great price, so I highly suggest giving it a go!




PS- read the very end of the book to discover to meaning of why Fitzgerald originally titled his tale Trimalchio. It's just brilliant and so enchanting. Doesn't quite hold a place in your heart the way "Gatsby" does, but it's extremely powerful with such great symbolism. I'm done gushing about the greatness of Gatsby now. Enjoy!

Final Rating: 5 out of 5 stars





No comments:

Post a Comment