Friday, September 18, 2015

Do Not Disturb (Deanna Madden #2)- A Review

Hello, all!! I know, I know. Another review in roughly a twenty-four hour period. What can I say? Today was a slow day at the office so I was able to binge read. The book stepping up to the plate this evening? Do Not Disturb by A. R. Torre. I'm not even going to waste time with some random jibber-jabber, but instead, get right into process and review. 

I was worried that just coming off of the Outlander series, I wouldn't be interested in something new, something less powerful in a story. I figured the escapades of Claire and Jamie Fraser would be too tough of an act to follow. After spending months with an extremely involved series, and then immediately jumping into something new could cause a lack of commitment or enthusiasm for the current text, and I really didn't want that experience. Needless to say, I'm glad I chose this book. I was a massive fan of 6E so I just had an underlying feeling that its sequel wouldn't disappoint either regardless of my previous reading situation/book depression. 

The sequel to The Girl in 6E has been sitting on my shelf for months, so I'm thrilled I finally got to it. I was a fan of Torre's Innocence trilogy back in the day, so I'm enjoying a new, edgier side of her work. 

Deanna Madden is a complex creature, but she reminds me very much of a female Dexter. Twisted emotions, but at her core, a good person with an understanding of right and wrong. She may have yet to realize that, but in two books now, she has killed, but with more than enough justified reason. Despite her tragic past, her flaws, and the blinders blocking her from what she's capable of feeling within, she doesn't deserve to be locked away in her 900 square foot apartment and shut up from the joys of the outside world. Understandably, she's treading carefully, but is finally letting some walls come down. 

Despite the overall ominous and macabre feel, I'm ecstatic that there was her own version of a happy (and sexy might I add) ending to this installment. Enjoy Jeremy, girl! You deserve him... plus, he's a good egg! 

Needless to say, I can't wait for book three to come out. I'll be chomping at the bit until November!!

That's all for now. Until next time, fellow bibliophiles! 


My Final Rating: five out of five stars





No comments:

Post a Comment