Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Drums of Autumn (Outlander #4)- A Review

Hi all! I know I recently posted, but like I said, in getting back from my excursion overseas, I really wanted to catch up on my reading, and I couldn't seem to put my latest installment down. Therefore, I have another review to get to, which I'm really excited about. Ta da! Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon has stepped up to the plate, and it's a home run for sure! 

In reading other reviews for this, it seems that as people move on with the tale of Jamie and Claire Fraser, they're getting bored and find a lot of these massive books to be filler and insignificant to the plot. Luckily, I'm not having this issue, and I hope it never comes to me. This story just went places I never thought it would go. I've spanned foreign lands and oceans with Jamie and Claire only so we could settle in America, far away from our stunning Scotland Highlands and see how they're eclectic band of characters mesh with their only daughter, Brianna.

That's right! Their lone child from back in book two, Dragonfly In Amber is all grown up and looking harder than ever into the history of her real father, Jamie Fraser. With the help of family friend-turned-lover, Roger Wakefield, they uncover some startling truths and (long-story-short) find it necessary to try to pass through the stones at Craigh Na Dun as Claire had done in order to save Brianna's parents from a doomed fate.

As usual, there's tons of conflict, romance, faces old and new, and amazing amounts of history. I do miss the rolling greens and magic held among Lallybroch and Inverness, but I'm interested to see where the rough terrain of the founding colonies takes this family and their friends. What I have to say I enjoyed most in this book, was feeling Jamie meet his daughter for the first time and how their relationship blooms. It's the one good thing he thought he'd never get out of his life, and all he wished was that she was safe and happy, so knowing he becomes a significant role to her was really moving and emotional to experience.

Life has interfered slightly once again, so book five is progressing slowly for me. However, as I do read, I have to hope the focus stays primarily on Jamie and Claire. These books tend to have a lot going on, so while they're fantastic, I miss the intimacies the Fraser's marriage offered to us in the beginning. I adore them so much that I never want to leave them as background players to a monster of a story. I will let you guys know as soon as I'm finished! 

My Final Rating: five out of five stars




No comments:

Post a Comment