Saturday, April 9, 2016

All Things Outlander Appreciation Post!

Good evening to all my bonnie lads and lasses out there! As you all very well ken (or at least I hope you do), we’re on the eve of the Outlander season two premiere (in my neck of the woods at least) and Droughtlander will officially be over! Let us rejoice!!! Fans of both the acclaimed novels and the television series have been chomping at the bit, myself among them, and I can’t wait to see how Dragonfly In Amber will be adapted for the small screen! 

With the excitement looming and buzzing in the air, I’ve decided to create an appreciation post of sorts for all things in the Outlander universe, and formally thank Diana Gabaldon for the start of it all, her miraculous novels. Disclaimer: no, I’m not doing this because I’m a massive Whovian (fan of Doctor Who) and her concept stemmed from an old episode of the show, but that isn’t detracting from how much I want to shower this woman with praise for capturing me with her novels and inventive story. Bravo and massive brownie points, Gabaldon! 

Last summer, I took on the immense task of all eight of these books, and binged on the show as I read. After book one, I watched all sixteen episodes so I could compare the pages to my tv screen, and I was nowhere near disappointed. I was positively hooked. You can read my reviews of every novel here: 


My journey with these books took me roughly seven-eight weeks to finish. I began Outlander in the middle of June, and finished Written In My Own Heart’s Blood going into the second weekend in September, and I’ve been overwhelmed and overjoyed ever since. 

Outlander tells the story of Claire Beauchamp Randall, a combat nurse at the end of World War II-1945. She’s reunited with her husband, Frank (a former solider and professor) and together, they journey to Inverness and the Highlands of Scotland to enjoy a second honeymoon. While reuniting and getting reacquainted, the couple take time to marvel at a set of standing stones the locals call Craig Na Dun. While exploring and studying the herbs and flowers scattered among the stones, Claire finds herself too close to one of the monoliths and winds up transported back in time to 1743, and in the middle of another war; the Jacobite rebellion. Scotland is at war with Britain to try to gain its independence, and they’re on the brink of the Battle of Culloden where majority of the Highlander culture was wiped out. Claire becomes entwined with clan MacKenzie, and eventually in the arms of one Jamie Fraser. Together, they must navigate the day-to-day, and adapt to not only each other, but a world that's changing rapidly around them. Circumstances lead the pair to an arranged marriage of sorts, and Claire not only finds herself torn between two different centuries, but the admiration and affection for two husbands as well. 

Throughout all eight (and soon-to-be nine) novels, we spend decades with Jamie, Claire, and even Frank. Just when you think these stories have gone everywhere and covered every available landscape, Diana comes up with another direction that adds another facet to this universe. Personally, I never want my time with these characters to end. I know one day it will, but for now, I choose to ignore such possibilities. 

Finishing these books (for now) left me positively speechless. I genuinely wanted to write, Tweet, Facebook, blog, or whatever the kids are doing nowadays, to Diana and gush about how much these stories meant to me. I knew I wouldn’t be telling her anything she hasn’t heard before, but at least maybe in my own space, I could attempt to organize my thoughts to be somewhat more coherent (yeah, right). All these months later,anxiously awaiting book nine and season two of the hit Starz series, I find myself in need to put my admiration from brain, to keyboard, to screen. I thought about being proper, formal, and professional to a degree, but instead, I figured I’d just keep my fingers crossed and hope what I’m trying to convey makes sense (because it does in my head, I swear). I may be the only one who reads this, but at least it's here, and anyone who wants to can be made aware that this fabulous universe is out there, so, in that case, you're welcome. 

Here’s a sliver of back story because I need to paint a bigger picture. I’ve been reading since before I knew how to read. My parents still tell the story of the time when I was five years old and trying to sneak some Charles Dickens off of my father’s bookshelf to read a massive book I couldn’t begin to understand. I grew up surrounded by books. Every summer I had to compile a reading list and do a certain amount of reading every single day before I was allowed to go outside and play with my friends and be a kid. At the time, I was not the biggest fan of my parents, or reading for that matter. However, as the years went by, I found myself reading more and more, and I even took up writing as well. As early as middle school, I would spend my lunch periods with notebooks, jotting down ideas for stories. Fast forward to spending years in college and graduating university with three degrees, two of which are in English Literature. What I’m saying is that my parents created a monster (of the best kind, of course). Now, as an adult, I have to say I wouldn’t have been brought up any other way. I’m so thankful to have developed such a deep love of literature spanning numerous decades, continents, and genres. 

Hopefully, I’m not too much of a monster. In all my leisure time, my schooling and classes, I’ve spent time with countless stories, worlds, and authors.  I’d study and read essentially from the time I woke up, and into the late hours of the evening. Even after school has finished, I have shelves crammed with novels and short stories that span the globe and range from old to new. With such seemingly infinite possibilities stored in my brain and on my shelves, Diana Gabaldon is easily keeping one of the highest ranks among my ultimate favorite authors. Classic or contemporary, I can’t for the life of me pinpoint a writer who has done the research she has done for these Outlander stories, and therefore, have not created what I would call a literary masterpiece the way she has with every single installment of this series.You would think with so much ground to cover, it would be easy to lose yourself in the writing process and wind up losing the plot somewhere. This never happens even once in any single sentence she has written. I don’t remember the last time I’ve been so thoroughly impressed and touched by every minute detail she has portrayed. Eight (thick) novels became a chunk of my life, and a chunk of my heart. I laughed, cried, became enraged, was left shocked, and felt the warm fuzzies in becoming an unofficial and silent member of the Fraser clan. From the history, clothing, wilderness, landscape, battles, culture, language, medicines, food, herbs, mannerisms, etc, I have been sucked in mind, body, and soul. I can not praise the phenomenon that is Outlander enough, but I think we already knew that (it’s essentially the title of this post). 

As I’ve said, in my own experience writing, I’ve always had stories, journals, and projects I’ve worked on, even as a child. I also walked away from every single word I’ve ever scratched down when having writer’s block, or simply getting bored with a plot. Writers like Diana inspire me to want to keep going with my own work and really put in the blood, sweat, and tears. The fact that she wrote Outlander in order to practice how to write a novel simply baffles me with how astonishing her debut work was, and astounded at everything it has grown to become

The only regret I’ve had with this whole experience is the fact that I haven’t gotten to these books sooner. To be fair, they started coming out in the early nineties, and I was still in elementary school. I am ashamed to say that I’ve had these books beckoning to me from the shelves of B&N numerous times over the years, but I found it too daunting to take on 800+ pages at the time, multiplied by a stack of (close to) a dozen books. That’s entirely my own fault for being such a coward. Now when people ask if I’ve read all of the Outlander stories, I can say yes I have, and I feel immensely proud. This is not because I’ve taken on a mammoth of a story, but because I’m a part of this world that I can’t even begin to explain the importance of to others. All I can say is, if there are any novels or a single book series you MUST read in your life, these are it 110%. They are an investment in time and attention, but they are beyond worth it once you’ve finished the last page of the last book.

Luckily, since my time with the Frasers, I’ve gotten a few friends into both the novels and the television series, and it makes me feel like a proud parent for having corrupted them. I adore getting text messages and emojis at all hours of the day and night with friends obsessing about this time-travel romance as much as I have. Credit again goes to Mrs. Gabaldon for creating every spec of it for us to have forever. 

As far as the television series, I’m not going to be one of those people who says, “the book is better”. Again, Diana is to thank. She surrounded herself with outstanding people and she’s been extremely present on set. The end results are fantastic… simply spectacular, and I can’t get over how much I LOVE the show. Much like books, I’ve grown up with a lot of television, but there are only a handful of shows that have been profound for me, and Outlander is one of those shows. The costumes, set, scenery,producers, writers, directors, and CAST MEMBERS have put together a production that have only enhanced my connection to the books. Instead of rambling on and on, I’m going to leave the trailers for season one and the upcoming season two right here, and you’re going to contemplate watching this show as soon as yesterday, so, enjoy: 

Season One

Season Two





I would say long story short, but it’s too late for that, and I won’t apologize. When people ask me why I like reading so much, I should just say, “see above” or, “read this post”. Books mean the world to me because I’m allowed to experience another world, one I may never have gotten the chance to experience without words on a page. To some, that may seem silly, but to me, I’m thankful and forever grateful because authors like Diana Gabaldon have bound their souls to set them on a shelf and have allowed someone like me, a complete and total stranger, to inhabit their space, gobble up every word, and tell everyone I can how amazing it is to experience a story like Outlander (or any other story you can think of for that matter). For me, it’s a priceless feeling, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store next. 

Thank you, for the millionth time for these stories, Mrs. Gabaldon. I know I’ll never properly convey my sentiments, but I can only hope this is a good starting point. My life would be just a bit more dull if it weren’t for the sensitive heart of Jamie Fraser, and the never-ending bravery of Claire Beauchamp Randall Fraser. They have taught me so much in all the time I’ve spent with them and their family. Without the beauty of their story, I’d simply be a Sassenach who never got to experience the joy and thrill of belonging to a clan of Highlanders. To everyone who has already watched the new season premiere in an advanced way, I'd love to hear your thoughts (without spoilers, please), and to everyone who have yet to watch, please enjoy every single second! Tulach Ard! 



Me being an absolute nerd with my very own James Alexander Malcolm Mackenzie Fraser.


No comments:

Post a Comment