Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Grownup- A Review

I know, I know. I just wrote a review mere hours ago. This is happening purely by accident. I was browsing my bookshelves, along with my Kindle and iBooks apps trying to find something in my never-ending TBR pile that jumped out at me to begin. Nothing was striking my fancy as "must-read", so I went shopping in the iBooks store. Bad move, I know. I can hear my bank account liquidating as I type up this rambling review.

I've been a fan of Gillian Flynn since classmates in my Brit Lit class at university suggested I pick up a copy of Gone Girl. It was all the rage at the time, so I gave it a go and enjoyed it. However, I liked her other novels better. Sharp Objects and Dark Places just had this extra darkness added to them that totally spoke to me. Girlfriend has got one twisted mind when it comes to plot development.

ANYWAY, shopping in the online book store, I came across her latest work, The Grownup. It was affordable, and I basically decided there was no turning back. I had no clue Gillian Flynn had something new out, so I had to swipe a copy and get started! 

As stated earlier, I've always enjoyed and respected Flynn's ability to write completely disturbing and (pardon the language), totally f*cked up stories. This is the fourth tale of hers I've read and I'm still left thinking, "what the hell?" despite being wary of every character who comes into play. 

I'd give this five stars if it were longer. I was amped for new material from Flynn, but immediately deflated at the fact that this was only 60+ pages. The upsides were that I got it done within an hour, and also, that the story stayed short and to-the-point.

Lastly, I wish I read this a few days earlier  and the Halloween season was still in full swing. It had all the proper creepy elements of a spine-chilling ghost story. That's my own fault, so, it is what it is. 

Needless to say, I can't wait to see what she comes up with next! I'm beyond ready for more stories from her macabre mind! 

My Final Rating: four out of five stars




No comments:

Post a Comment